Instagram. The app we all know and once loved. Note the past tense. I get nostalgic just thinking about the glory days of Instagram pre mid 2016. It’s changed a lot over the past year. From the huge shift in the algorithm to the changing of the logo. FYI Instagram – your old logo was pretty cool. But there are some things that we users just cannot forgive and forget. Here, Instagram – are the seven things we hate about you…
1. Buying followers. Why do you allow people to buy their followers and get away with it? It’s not cool Insta. Why should they get their all expenses paid for holidays to show off to their fake followers? Whilst we’re stuck in the mud barely getting 10 likes on a post and living off cup a soup so we can buy the latest highlighting palette to share with our followers. Not only this but FAKE accounts. *screams*
2. The spam. Come on Instagram, this needs sorting out pronto. If I get one more comment like “Great feed”, “😃😃” or “Cool!” I might actually flip a table. It drives me insane. Why is there not a more effective way to detect spam? Or get a plug in to stop spam from showing on your pictures?
3. How difficult it is to gain followers. You gain 2 followers and you lose about 20. Not cool Instagram. It’s very disheartening and off putting that’s for sure. There’s some fantastic users out there with amazing feeds who aren’t getting the credit they deserve. I know it’s not all about numbers but when there are people putting so much effort into growing their
4. Engagement. Or should I say lack of…
5. You sold yourself out. To Facebook. FACEBOOK! Instagram was doing just fine until Facebook stuck their oars where it’s not wanted. Instagram, you need to forever wear the cone of shame.
6. Shadow banning. How shady do you have to be? People don’t even know they’re being banned until they figure out that their likes have been minimal and no new followers – but you can bet your boots you’ll still be losing followers. People are essentially becoming invisible to the outside world. This really winds me up. People who try so hard with their Instagram get shadow banned but all the fake accounts and bought follower accounts STILL get all the exposure in the world.
And the seventh thing, we hate the most that you did…
7. You changed the bloody algorithm. Gone are the days of chronological order posting when you could wake up in the morning and do a social media catch up ritual, happily scrolling from the newest to the oldest posts. Instead, Instagram decided that it would a good idea to have the ”best” posts first. So if a celebrity puts up a sponsored post with a 80m following versus a small blogger like myself with a 1.3k following sharing their latest lipstick purchase – can you imagine what will be at the top of everyones feed? I feel like Judge Judy accurately displays how we feel about this even though it’s a year on (give or take a couple months).
So there you have it, the seven things we hate about you Instagram. I hope someone got the whole ‘seven things I hate about you’ angle or I won’t find myself as funny *sobs* – I was singing Miley Cyrus’ song the whole time I was typing this!
I’m sure there’s tonnes of other things to not like about Instagram but these seem to be the main ones! Whilst I’m still pretty peeved with Instagram for doing all this shady stuff and recommending people to stay away from hashtags and ‘grow’ themselves through creativity and having good content. Although I’m not sure how you can grow without using the hashtags to be seen by new people across the world… Anyway, it’s still an app I can’t come away from and I’m not quite ready to say goodbye to or give up just yet. It’s just incredibly frustrating and disheartening.
What are your pet peeves about Instagram? Do you have any? Let me know!
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! Thanks to Hayley for the feature image idea. I think it might be my best photo to date. Be sure to leave a comment below, check out my other posts and follow me on social media for life and blog updates! Thanks again,